Discovering Your Creative Vision
A creativity workshop for mediators and arbitrators conducted by Aric Attas, MFA, Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Mediator
This workshop was presented at the Florida Dispute Resolution Center (DRC) Annual Conference for Mediators and Arbitrators on August 23-25, 2012 in Orlando, Florida. Customized creativity workshops are available to businesses, professional organizations, non-profits and others interested in learning how to engage their creativity to solve problems and become more innovative.
Please contact me for more information.
Creativity Workshop Description
Discovering Your Creative Vision is a unique creativity program that uses photography to challenge the perceptions and creative limitations of the participants. With today’s technology, almost everybody has a camera with them, everywhere they go. This seminar taps those cell phone camera’s (or digital camera’s if participants would rather) to discover ways of thinking creatively. Using a variety of camera strategies participants will develop unique perspectives, seeing new patterns and themes not readily apparent. Learn to see from a unique perspective while developing insight and fostering innovation, and how to bring these ideas into our work as mediators.
In this creativity workshop you will:
• Identify barriers to seeing – examining mechanisms that limit people’s view; assisting mediators with developing processes to improve the identification of issues and avenues for resolution in mediation.
• Discover novelty in the familiar – investigate creative ways to think, that will assist mediators in developing the skills necessary to reframe issues in mediation.
• Learn new communication skills – examine how communication can be expanded with creative vision, assisting mediators in developing new ways to communicate these ideas to participants.
• Explore techniques for finding creative solutions – examining techniques for improving creative thinking and developing creative solutions to issues to improve conflict resolution. “Thinking outside the box”.
• Tap into your creativity and apply it to your professional & personal life.
“The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.” – Dorothea Lange
Photography provides a unique way for us to interact with and thus understand the world. With it we can create snapshots at a fraction of a second or collect light over long durations to produce stunning images of unseen beauty. Even in it’s common practice photography can help us see the exotic in the familiar. It is unlike writing, applying formulas, generating statistics, creating flow charts or diagrams. The mechanical nature of photography allows us to engage our surroundings both logically and intuitively. As we immerse ourselves in the picture taking process we are able to expand our experiences and deepen the understanding we have of our selves and our surroundings. Utilizing an ongoing cycle of exploration and discovery allows us to reveal unseen nuances and details that make us more perceptive. In this way photography can help us to create possibilities for insights, innovation and creativity.
Here’s what my creativity workshop participants have to say!
“I was not exaggerating when I said the class and how you structured it has been life changing. I am literally and figuratively seeing the world through a different ‘lens’ each day.”
“Amazing class. I felt liberated and inspired after taking Aric’s class. I know that I can apply these fresh perspectives to my mediations.”